Saturday, August 2, 2008

Turkey Shoot 5

Russell Miller stood and stared at Face. "Do you think I'm stupid?
Boy."



"Now why would I think that?" Face answered quickly.



"I know Sheriff Master hired you and those others, you were all
together."



"Well of course we were together. I work for Applegate. He's buys
land all over the USA and he came to see if Mr. Chance was willing to
sell. As his foreman, it's up to me to check out the land."



"So, what about the other guy? Why was he in here spying on us?" Luke
piped up.



"Scooter? This is a bar, right? Well, Scooter the best survey man
I've ever worked with. But he has a drinking problem - if you know
what I mean. I was looking for him; and I knew he would be here
because this is the only bar in town."



Russell studied Face for a long time. "How much do you think Chance's
land is worth?"



"I suppose as a ball park figure, I say, around $10,000. That's just
a ball park figure."



"I own that land now." Miller said.



Face nodded his head hoping to hide his surprise. "I was told by your
sheriff that Chance's daughter was the new owner."



Miller laughed and took out a deed. "Chance never was a very good
poker player. His poker face was always a give away. He lost the land
to me three days before his death. I guess he never got time to tell
his sweet daughter."



"So do you want to sell it? I could take a quick look and tell you
how much it's worth."



Miller placed his arm around Face's shoulder. "Why don't you come
home with us and we'll talk."



"I really can't. I mean not without my surveyor."



Bob stood by Face and grabbed his arm. "My Pa invited you to visit
us. You don't want to say no to my Pa. It may not be good for your
health."



Face looked at Bob and swallowed. Bob Miller was a big man, around 6
feet and 3 inches; and Face guessed he weigh around 250 pounds. "Hey
who am I to turn down an invite."



"See we can all get along, "replied Miller.



Murdock watched from a safe distance as Face climbed into the cab of
the truck. He watched as it drove away. Murdock then got on his
walkie-talkie. "Our swallow has flown. I repeat our swallow has
flown."



BA shook his head and gave the walkie-talkie to Hannibal. "Okay,
Murdock, follow them but keep out of sight. "



"Roger, over and out. " Murdock turned the walkie-talkie off and
followed the truck. Murdock was keeping a good distance from the
truck. The roads were all dirt roads, but the jeep had good traction.
He watched as the truck made a sharp turn around a bend. As Murdock
made the turn, he slammed on his breaks to stop the jeep. He slowly
got out and looked around. For miles and miles all he could see was
the open road. The truck with Face in it was nowhere in sight.

No comments: