Saturday, August 2, 2008

Turkey Shoot 4

Face's mind was racing; he knew Hannibal's plans hardly ever worked
out. "Hannibal, now just wait a minute. I want to know what you are
planning to do."



Hannibal stopped walking and turned towards Face. "Well we know that
Miller wanted to buy Mr. Chance's land, what we don't know is why."



Face waited for Hannibal to continue.



"Now Face, You know, as well as I do, that Miller doesn't want the
land to grow soybeans; or any other crop for that matter. So we need
to make Mr. Miller think that there's another person interested in
buying Mr. Chance's land."



Face's eyes widened as he was catching on to Hannibal's idea. "You
want me to be that other person."



"Why not you Face? You've got a mind for business. You're perfect."



Face shook his head. "There's no way this idea will work Hannibal.
They met me, so they know I'm with you. You kind of made sure of
that."



Hannibal took out his cigar and bit off the end. "Face, all he knows
is that you work for me, Mr. Thompson Applegate."



"I guess that will work." Face replied but he was still not too sure.



"It will work Face, my plans always work."



"Since when?"



"All the time. Cheer up lieutenant, the sooner we get the bad guys.
the more time you can spend with Murdock."



Face looked surprised. "Hannibal. I have no idea what you're talking
about."



"Yeah okay my mistake, but I really thought you and Murdock were
coming out of the closet."



Face began walking away " Come on Murdock and BA might need us."



Hannibal laughed as he followed Face towards the bar.



**********************************************************************
**

Murdock sat with his feet on the table, his cap just a tad over his
eyes; but there was just enough of an opening for him to see Russell
Miller and his sons. All of them stood by the bar. They were all
drinking beers and talking. Murdock smiled because this was so easy,
he could pick up every word. He always knew someday learning to read
lips would come in handy. He watched a little longer, waiting to read
what Hannibal needed to know. He has learned plenty but not enough.



"PA! It's one of them strangers we had a fallout with."



Russell stood up " So it is. Now isn't that nice. Say boy, where's
your pretty face friend?"

Luke , Sheeter and Bob surrounded Murdock. Luke pushed Murdock. "My
Pa asked you a question. Boy."



Murdock stared at Luke. "Really? I think I heard him just fine. I
have no idea where he is. I'm in here just having a drink."



"Scooter! I thought I'd find you in here. How many times do I have to
tell you: if you want to work for me, you've got to stop drinking."



Both Murdock and the Millers turned towards the voice. Russell
spoke . "Well if it isn't the pretty boy himself."



Face walked over to Murdock. "You get out of here, and you'd better
hope Mr. Applegate doesn't find out you're drinking on the job again.
He'll have our asses."



Murdock nodded his head. "Thanks for not telling on me." Face lipped
his name for this con. "Mr. Temptation." Murdock then hurried out.
Once outside, BA pulled up the van . Murdock climbed in. He smiled at
BA and Hannibal.



"What did you find out Murdock?"



"Well I found out that Miller and his sons had something to do with
Chance's death."



"We know that fool. Do you know if they actually killed him?"



Murdock gave BA a dirty look. "I was talking to Hannibal, and, no,
they didn't actually say that."



BA scowled and grabbed Murdock. "Then how do you know they had
something to do with it? We need proof, Fool."



Murdock shook BA off. "I know. I was reading their lips and…"



"You don't read lips, Fool."



"I do too. It's one thing I was taught. It's not my fault you can't."



Hannibal sighed. "Will you two knock it off? Now according to his
daughter, Jim Chance grew soybeans."



BA shifted a little. "Why would anyone kill someone over soybeans?"



Hannibal blew out smoke. "That's what Face is going to find out."



Murdock felt his heart fall; Hannibal was putting Face in danger
again. He looked at Hannibal. "Is Face going in undercover?" he asked
with concern.



"Yes. Don't worry Murdock. If I didn't think Face could handle it, I
wouldn't let him do it."



"Hannibal! These guys are Rednecks. Face doesn't do Rednecks. Let me
go in. I can handle it." Murdock said.



Hannibal shook his head. "No. When it come to doing this kind of a
job, Face has more experience."



Murdock turned away and muttered, "I hope so."

No comments: